• Home
  • News
  • World
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest USA News and updates directly to your inbox.

What's On
Key European leaders demand Israel halt West Bank settlement project

Key European leaders demand Israel halt West Bank settlement project

August 20, 2026
Kylie and Kendall Jenner Use This Spill-Proof Tumbler That Keeps Drinks Cold for 12+ Hours

Kylie and Kendall Jenner Use This Spill-Proof Tumbler That Keeps Drinks Cold for 12+ Hours

August 20, 2026
Gabby Beans, Elizabeth Marvel and More to Star in THE FORD/HILL PROJECT at BAM

Gabby Beans, Elizabeth Marvel and More to Star in THE FORD/HILL PROJECT at BAM

August 20, 2026
Irish authorities seek extradition warrant for suspect in murder of American mom Jamey Carney: report

Irish authorities seek extradition warrant for suspect in murder of American mom Jamey Carney: report

August 20, 2026
Darline Graham’s ‘embarrassing and inexcusable’ national security stumble spotlights break from late brother

Darline Graham’s ‘embarrassing and inexcusable’ national security stumble spotlights break from late brother

August 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Just In
  • Key European leaders demand Israel halt West Bank settlement project
  • Kylie and Kendall Jenner Use This Spill-Proof Tumbler That Keeps Drinks Cold for 12+ Hours
  • Gabby Beans, Elizabeth Marvel and More to Star in THE FORD/HILL PROJECT at BAM
  • Irish authorities seek extradition warrant for suspect in murder of American mom Jamey Carney: report
  • Darline Graham’s ‘embarrassing and inexcusable’ national security stumble spotlights break from late brother
  • US economy ‘worse’ off than when Biden departed, Peter Schiff says, warning of 2028 Dem socialist ‘threat’
  • Israeli defense minister puts NATO power on notice as Middle East tensions surge: ‘Dangerous adventures’
  • Exclusive | ‘CPAP baddies’ are trying to make wearing a sleep apnea mask cool
  • Privacy Policy
  • Advertise
  • Contact
US Times MirrorUS Times Mirror
Newsletter
  • Home
  • News
  • World
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
 Weather Login
US Times MirrorUS Times Mirror
Home » Key European leaders demand Israel halt West Bank settlement project
World

Key European leaders demand Israel halt West Bank settlement project

staffstaffAugust 20, 20260 ViewsNo Comments
Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email
Key European leaders demand Israel halt West Bank settlement project

Published on 20/08/2026 – 20:22 GMT+2•Updated
20:23

The leaders of seven countries, including four EU member states, condemned a major settlement project in the West Bank and called on Israel to end expansion in the occupied Palestinian territory after authorities opened bidding for more than 1,200 homes in the area.

ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

“At a time of grave instability in the West Bank with unprecedented levels of violence by settlers against civilians, and serious restrictions on the Palestinian economy, this decision is even more concerning,” the joint statement said, urging Israel “to retract these plans immediately and end its expansion of settlements in the West Bank.”

The statement was signed by France, Germany, Italy and the Netherlands as well as the United Kingdom, Norway and Canada.

The E1 plan was green-lit by Israel last year and would further separate east Jerusalem, occupied and annexed by Israel and predominantly inhabited by Palestinians, from the West Bank.

The UN secretary general also said the E1 plan posed an “existential threat” to a contiguous Palestinian state.

Belgian Foreign Minister Maxime Prevot called the tenders “unacceptable” on Thursday, saying the project “would seriously undermine the viability of the two-State solution.”

‘Israel will defend its rights’

Prevot’s condemnation was echoed in a statement by UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband who demanded an end to the project and settlement expansion in the West Bank, with London summoning Israel’s charge d’affaires.

Miliband said he delivered the message directly to his Israeli counterpart Gideon Sa’ar.

Sa’ar on Thursday said he rejected “outright” Miliband’s statement and “the patronising tone of his words.”

“The Jewish people have the right to live throughout the Land of Israel, just as the British have the right to live in London and throughout the United Kingdom,” he wrote on X.

Sa’ar went on to accuse the UK of “blaming only Israel while ignoring Palestinian extremism” which he said was fuelling antisemitic attacks against the British Jewish community.

“The UK Government’s decision to damage the relationship between our countries is deeply unfortunate,” he added, vowing that “Israel will defend its rights, its interests and its people.”

Israel approved the plans for the roughly 12-square-kilometre parcel of land known as E1 just east of Jerusalem, in August last year.

The plan seeks to build around 3,400 homes on the ultra-sensitive tract of land, which lies between Jerusalem and the Israeli settlement of Maale Adumim.

The latest tender covers more than 1,200 housing units, according to Israeli NGO Peace Now.

Peace Now said Israel’s housing ministry published the tender on 18 August and immediately opened it for bids.

Submissions are due by 19 October, one week before Israeli elections scheduled for 27 October.

The group said the homes accounted for about one-third of the planned E1 development and accused the government of trying to advance construction commitments before the vote.

Israel heavily restricts the movement of West Bank Palestinians, who must obtain permits from authorities to travel through checkpoints to cross into east Jerusalem or Israel.

Last year, Britain and France were among 21 countries who condemned Israeli approval of the E1 project, calling it a violation of international law and urging Israel to reverse the decision.

Excluding east Jerusalem, the West Bank is home to around three million Palestinians. About 500,000 Israeli settlers also live there.

Violence against Palestinians by Israeli settlers has increased since the unprecedented 7 October 2023 attack on Israel by Hamas-led militants from the Gaza Strip.

Additional sources • AFP

Read the full article here

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram WhatsApp Email

Related News

Israeli defense minister puts NATO power on notice as Middle East tensions surge: ‘Dangerous adventures’

Israeli defense minister puts NATO power on notice as Middle East tensions surge: ‘Dangerous adventures’

Missing in action: Ukrainian soldiers desert during Germany training

Missing in action: Ukrainian soldiers desert during Germany training

Russian drones threaten civilians and aid work in Ukraine, UN warns

Russian drones threaten civilians and aid work in Ukraine, UN warns

Europe faces race to refill gas storage as LNG cargoes flow to Asia

Europe faces race to refill gas storage as LNG cargoes flow to Asia

How will the UK royals react to Harry and Meghan’s return?

How will the UK royals react to Harry and Meghan’s return?

Melting Swiss glacier reveals remains of two Belgian mountaineers missing since 1992

Melting Swiss glacier reveals remains of two Belgian mountaineers missing since 1992

Fix market fragmentation or miss the AI train, Lagarde warns the EU

Fix market fragmentation or miss the AI train, Lagarde warns the EU

Christian Zionists take on anti-Israel ‘propaganda’ from biblical heartland

Christian Zionists take on anti-Israel ‘propaganda’ from biblical heartland

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to move back to the UK later this month

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to move back to the UK later this month

Add A Comment

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Latest News

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

January 11, 2021
EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

January 11, 2021
World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

January 11, 2021
Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

January 11, 2021

Subscribe to News

Get the latest USA News and updates directly to your inbox.

Editor's Picks
Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

January 11, 2021
EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

January 11, 2021
World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

January 11, 2021
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest WhatsApp TikTok Instagram
2026 © US Times Mirror. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Lost password?