• Home
  • News
  • World
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest USA News and updates directly to your inbox.

What's On
‘Deserved To Be On The List’: Brazil Coach Sorry For João Pedro’s World Cup Snub

‘Deserved To Be On The List’: Brazil Coach Sorry For João Pedro’s World Cup Snub

May 20, 2026
Wake Up With BroadwayWorld May 20, 2026- EVERY BRILLIANT THING Tops the Grosses and More

Wake Up With BroadwayWorld May 20, 2026- EVERY BRILLIANT THING Tops the Grosses and More

May 20, 2026
Trader Joe’s workers shut down long-running checkout line rumor: ‘Over-the-top friendliness’

Trader Joe’s workers shut down long-running checkout line rumor: ‘Over-the-top friendliness’

May 20, 2026
Bain, Verona Fire updates: 2 brush fires in Riverside County prompt evacuation orders and warnings; at least 5 people injured

Bain, Verona Fire updates: 2 brush fires in Riverside County prompt evacuation orders and warnings; at least 5 people injured

May 20, 2026
US planning to reduce commitment to NATO – including in wartime

US planning to reduce commitment to NATO – including in wartime

May 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Just In
  • ‘Deserved To Be On The List’: Brazil Coach Sorry For João Pedro’s World Cup Snub
  • Wake Up With BroadwayWorld May 20, 2026- EVERY BRILLIANT THING Tops the Grosses and More
  • Trader Joe’s workers shut down long-running checkout line rumor: ‘Over-the-top friendliness’
  • Bain, Verona Fire updates: 2 brush fires in Riverside County prompt evacuation orders and warnings; at least 5 people injured
  • US planning to reduce commitment to NATO – including in wartime
  • Will Trent’s Scott Foley Breaks His Silence on Controversial Onscreen Death After Multiple Cast Exits
  • Trump-backed governor wins GOP primary for third term after running on deregulation and tax cuts
  • ‘With Him And For Him’: Portugal Using Ronaldo As Inspiration For 2026 World Cup
  • Privacy Policy
  • Advertise
  • Contact
US Times MirrorUS Times Mirror
Newsletter
  • Home
  • News
  • World
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
 Weather Login
US Times MirrorUS Times Mirror
Home » What do we know about the ABINSK ship, and why wasn’t it stopped?
World

What do we know about the ABINSK ship, and why wasn’t it stopped?

staffstaffApril 21, 20262 ViewsNo Comments
Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email
What do we know about the ABINSK ship, and why wasn’t it stopped?

A Russian-flagged bulk carrier that Ukraine says may have been carrying grain from territories occupied by Moscow has docked in Israel and is now en route to Russia.

ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

Tracking data from trade intelligence firm Kpler shows the ship, ABINSK, arrived in the Port of Haifa, Israel’s largest international seaport, on 12 April and departed on 15 April.

It shows the vessel’s condition after it left Haifa was “in ballast”, suggesting it may have unloaded its cargo in Haifa before departing. It then passed through the Turkish port of Çanakkale for several hours, with its next destination then listed as Istanbul.

Ukraine’s foreign ministry said it had warned Israeli authorities in advance about the vessel and what it described as the “possible origin of the cargo from the temporarily occupied territories of Ukraine.”

It added that the vessel unloaded its cargo at the port between 12 and 14 April, and requested that the cargo be seized based on a decision made by a Ukrainian court.

According to reporting by Axios, Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Sa’ar told Ukrainian authorities it was too late to detain the ship after it had already left port.

Why was the ship allowed to dock?

There is no global ban on Russian grain exports. Whilst Ukraine considers the export of grain from occupied territories without its authorisation to be illegal under its domestic law, a lack of binding international restrictions means shipments like this can still move through global ports.

Russian grain is not under a full EU sanctions ban, with food products generally exempt from the sweeping sanctions the EU has imposed on Russia since its full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.

Imports from Russian-occupied Crimea, unless they are authorised by Ukraine, are, however, prohibited.

In practice, EU ports have been closed to most vessels linked to Russia’s merchant fleet, with exceptions for ships carrying food and agricultural products. Members of Russia’s so-called “shadow fleet” and ships suspected of transporting grain from Ukraine’s occupied territories are banned.

Countries such as Israel and Turkey are not bound by EU sanctions, meaning that stopping the ship would depend on their domestic legal frameworks.

Under international law, looting and pillaging, or the exploitation of resources by an occupying power for its own benefit, are prohibited and can be considered a war crime.

What is known about the cargo?

Investigators from the SeaKrime project, which tracks illegal shipping activity and is run by the Kyiv-based website and NGO Myrotvorets, say that the vessel carried at least 7,500 tonnes of wheat from Ukraine’s occupied territories.

According to their findings, the stolen grain was transferred between vessels before being exported from the Port of Kavkaz, and was declared to be of Russian origin.

Reporter Kateryna Yaresko said the origin of the ship’s cargo is from Kerch, located in Crimea, which Russia annexed in 2014. Her research shows that the ship departed on 17 March with grain cargo before being accepted for unloading in Israel on 12 April.

Publicly available ship tracking data does not show the vessel’s departure from Russia or Crimea. It does show that between 2018 and 2025, the ship traded primarily in the eastern Mediterranean and made multiple port calls in Russia.

SeaKrime’s findings, which are based on open-source tracking and shipping data, have not been independently verified, but a statement from Ukraine’s Foreign Ministry said that it suspects the ship’s cargo originated from Russian-occupied areas of Ukraine.

The ministry describes ABINSK as part of Russia’s “shadow fleet” — a clandestine network of aged vessels that are used to bypass Western sanctions.

These ships are often owned through a complex web of shell companies and engage in tactics such as turning off tracking systems to avoid detection.

Online data suggests that ABINSK is 20 years old, having been built in Japan in 2006 — the average age of trading vessels worldwide is just over 20. It has changed ownership multiple times. It previously sailed under the Liberian flag, with the name Lago di Nemi.

Ukraine’s Foreign Intelligence Service reported that more than 2 million tonnes of grain crops grown in temporarily occupied areas of Ukraine were exported in 2025, with 53.6% of shipments going to Egypt and Bangladesh.

Read the full article here

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram WhatsApp Email

Related News

US planning to reduce commitment to NATO – including in wartime

US planning to reduce commitment to NATO – including in wartime

Watch: Beyond the guest list—what Russia and China really want from each other

Watch: Beyond the guest list—what Russia and China really want from each other

Newsletter: Breakthrough on EU-US trade deal

Newsletter: Breakthrough on EU-US trade deal

The EU simplifies the AI Act and bans ‘nudifier’ apps

The EU simplifies the AI Act and bans ‘nudifier’ apps

EU approves trade deal with the US

EU approves trade deal with the US

How the EU plans to ban non-consensual ‘nudifier apps’

How the EU plans to ban non-consensual ‘nudifier apps’

Spanish ex-PM Zapatero under investigation for influence peddling

Spanish ex-PM Zapatero under investigation for influence peddling

Malaysia seeks €216m from Norwegian firm over scrapped missile deal

Malaysia seeks €216m from Norwegian firm over scrapped missile deal

EU Order of Merit celebrates the same old memories and few fresh faces

EU Order of Merit celebrates the same old memories and few fresh faces

Add A Comment

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Latest News

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

January 11, 2021
EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

January 11, 2021
World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

January 11, 2021
Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

January 11, 2021

Subscribe to News

Get the latest USA News and updates directly to your inbox.

Editor's Picks
Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

January 11, 2021
EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

January 11, 2021
World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

January 11, 2021
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest WhatsApp TikTok Instagram
2026 © US Times Mirror. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Lost password?