• Home
  • News
  • World
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest USA News and updates directly to your inbox.

What's On
Nearly 40,000 bottles of eye drops recalled nationwide over possible contamination

Nearly 40,000 bottles of eye drops recalled nationwide over possible contamination

August 21, 2026
Kindergarten vaccine exemptions hit record 4.2%, CDC says

Kindergarten vaccine exemptions hit record 4.2%, CDC says

August 21, 2026
‘RHOBH’ Star Bozoma Saint John Marries Fiance Keely Watson in Traditional Ghana Wedding: Details (Exclusive)

‘RHOBH’ Star Bozoma Saint John Marries Fiance Keely Watson in Traditional Ghana Wedding: Details (Exclusive)

August 21, 2026
Daniella Rabbani is Making Yiddish Cool Again

Daniella Rabbani is Making Yiddish Cool Again

August 21, 2026
Iryna Zarutska’s family files wrongful death lawsuit alleging no security guard was on train

Iryna Zarutska’s family files wrongful death lawsuit alleging no security guard was on train

August 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Just In
  • Nearly 40,000 bottles of eye drops recalled nationwide over possible contamination
  • Kindergarten vaccine exemptions hit record 4.2%, CDC says
  • ‘RHOBH’ Star Bozoma Saint John Marries Fiance Keely Watson in Traditional Ghana Wedding: Details (Exclusive)
  • Daniella Rabbani is Making Yiddish Cool Again
  • Iryna Zarutska’s family files wrongful death lawsuit alleging no security guard was on train
  • Texas Gov Abbott asks the Justice Department to investigate ‘discriminatory’ Islamic washing stations
  • TikTok agrees to pay $400 million to settle Justice Department children’s privacy case
  • FIFA Suspends 3 Argentina Players A Combined 18 Games For World Cup Final Scuffle
  • Privacy Policy
  • Advertise
  • Contact
US Times MirrorUS Times Mirror
Newsletter
  • Home
  • News
  • World
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
 Weather Login
US Times MirrorUS Times Mirror
Home » Trump addresses FIFA’s decision on USA star Folarin Balogun’s World Cup suspension
Sports

Trump addresses FIFA’s decision on USA star Folarin Balogun’s World Cup suspension

staffstaffJuly 6, 20261 ViewsNo Comments
Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email
Trump addresses FIFA’s decision on USA star Folarin Balogun’s World Cup suspension

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

President Donald Trump said Monday he asked FIFA to review the decision to give U.S. men’s soccer team star Folarin Balogun a red card during last week’s win over Bosnia and Herzegovina in the World Cup knockout stage.

Balogun was given a red card after a VAR review to look at a play in which Balogun stepped on the ankle of a defender. He would have been suspended for the team’s match against Belgium but FIFA decided to suspend the one-game ban. A source told Fox News that Trump asked FIFA President Gianni Infantino to have the organization review it.

ZERO BS. JUST DAKICH. TAKE THE DON’T @ ME PODCAST ON THE ROAD. DOWNLOAD NOW!

Trump addressed the controversy in the Oval Office.

“All I did was, I asked for a review, because I didn’t think it was a foul,” the president said. “And again, I’m good at this stuff. I didn’t think it was a foul. I thought it was two great athletes who crashed into each other and got entangled. That was not a guy punching somebody in the face or anything that would be different.

“I think it’s a terrible … if they wouldn’t allow a top player, maybe the best, maybe among the best on the team, to play, I think it would have had a big stain. I relayed it. I didn’t tell him what to do. I don’t believe he made the decision. I think it was a committee that made the decision and they made the right decision because, No. 1, it wasn’t a foul and you want to see a game with your best players.”

Trump said the feeling would be the same if Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo or Harry Kane would have been given a red card in a similar way.

Folarin Balogun celebrates

He also took issue with the call itself.

“If you would have taken him out, I think it would have really stained this incredible championship,” Trump continued. “We gotta have our best players and Belgium, Belgium’s got a great team by the way. We have our best players and they have to have their best. If we win or we lose, it’s fair. Otherwise, let’s say we lost to them, then we lost the game. It would be a terrible thing. I think they made a really brilliant decision.

“I think the referee’s call was horrible and nobody talks about that. They talk about the red card like it’s fine. The referee’s decision to red card, I didn’t know what the hell a red card was and when I found out I said, ‘You gotta be kidding.’ … I said, ‘Wow, that’s a lot of power, that’s terrible.’ And then I looked at his past and it wasn’t so great.”

Belgium said it “sent a letter to FIFA requesting a copy of the decision, an explanation of the process that had been followed, and setting out its position regarding the applicable regulations.”

“As its only response, FIFA sent a letter to the RBFA stating that it considered this correspondence to constitute an appeal, that a judge had been appointed, and that the RBFA had only a few hours to complete that appeal. No information whatsoever was provided by FIFA,” the Royal Belgian Football Association (RBFA) said.

“For an appeal to be admissible, FIFA’s own regulations state that the reasoned decision must first have been communicated to the appellant. While the RBFA was merely seeking legitimate explanations, FIFA itself created an appeal and immediately ensured that it would be declared inadmissible.”

U.S. President Donald Trump and Gianni Infantino pose for a selfie with Claudia Sheinbaum and Mark Carney at the FIFA World Cup 2026 draw.

The RBFA added that FIFA has not responded to its requests.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

“Regardless of the sporting outcome of this match, the RBFA is deeply concerned by the course of events and will continue to fight in the coming hours, days and months in defence of the fundamental principles of ethics, fair competition, and the interests of football as a whole.”

The U.S. and Belgium play in the Round of 16 on Monday night at 8 p.m. ET.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram WhatsApp Email

Related News

FIFA Suspends 3 Argentina Players A Combined 18 Games For World Cup Final Scuffle

FIFA Suspends 3 Argentina Players A Combined 18 Games For World Cup Final Scuffle

Best LBs In The NFL: Has Fred Warner Been Dethroned As League’s Best Linebacker?

Best LBs In The NFL: Has Fred Warner Been Dethroned As League’s Best Linebacker?

4 Things You Need To Know About INDYCAR’s Freedom 250 Trophy

4 Things You Need To Know About INDYCAR’s Freedom 250 Trophy

Could A Freedom 250 Win Cement Alex Palou As This Series’ Best INDYCAR Driver?

Could A Freedom 250 Win Cement Alex Palou As This Series’ Best INDYCAR Driver?

Raiders’ Fernando Mendoza once again goes viral during an interview for hilarious Joe Buck greeting

Raiders’ Fernando Mendoza once again goes viral during an interview for hilarious Joe Buck greeting

Oklahoma Signs Brent Venables To Two-Year Extension: What’s Next For The Sooners?

Oklahoma Signs Brent Venables To Two-Year Extension: What’s Next For The Sooners?

2026 College Football Friday Schedule: Dates, Times, TV Channels, Streaming

2026 College Football Friday Schedule: Dates, Times, TV Channels, Streaming

How to Watch 2026 INDYCAR Freedom 250: Start Time, Date, TV Channel, Streaming, Schedule

How to Watch 2026 INDYCAR Freedom 250: Start Time, Date, TV Channel, Streaming, Schedule

Myles Gaskin retires at 29 after 7 NFL seasons and a Super Bowl win with the Seahawks

Myles Gaskin retires at 29 after 7 NFL seasons and a Super Bowl win with the Seahawks

Add A Comment

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Latest News

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

January 11, 2021
EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

January 11, 2021
World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

January 11, 2021
Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

January 11, 2021

Subscribe to News

Get the latest USA News and updates directly to your inbox.

Editor's Picks
Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

January 11, 2021
EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

January 11, 2021
World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

January 11, 2021
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest WhatsApp TikTok Instagram
2026 © US Times Mirror. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Lost password?