• Home
  • News
  • World
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest USA News and updates directly to your inbox.

What's On
EU approves trade deal with the US

EU approves trade deal with the US

May 19, 2026
Looking Back at OnlyFans Creator Annie Knight’s 583 Men Challenge 1 Year Later: What to Know

Looking Back at OnlyFans Creator Annie Knight’s 583 Men Challenge 1 Year Later: What to Know

May 19, 2026
Pirro doubles down on juvenile crime crackdown after DC mayor candidate calls Trump admin curfews ‘dangerous’

Pirro doubles down on juvenile crime crackdown after DC mayor candidate calls Trump admin curfews ‘dangerous’

May 19, 2026
Trump’s Georgia candidate heads to GOP runoff for governor against billionaire businessman Jackson

Trump’s Georgia candidate heads to GOP runoff for governor against billionaire businessman Jackson

May 19, 2026
Popular Costco kitchen gadget recalled after fire hazard leaves person burned

Popular Costco kitchen gadget recalled after fire hazard leaves person burned

May 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Just In
  • EU approves trade deal with the US
  • Looking Back at OnlyFans Creator Annie Knight’s 583 Men Challenge 1 Year Later: What to Know
  • Pirro doubles down on juvenile crime crackdown after DC mayor candidate calls Trump admin curfews ‘dangerous’
  • Trump’s Georgia candidate heads to GOP runoff for governor against billionaire businessman Jackson
  • Popular Costco kitchen gadget recalled after fire hazard leaves person burned
  • Lamar Jackson absent from Ravens OTA as new coach Jesse Minter downplays voluntary practice skip
  • LIBERATION Will Arrive in London in 2027
  • Workers feel severly underpaid — and reveal pay raise they need to be satisfied: survey
  • Privacy Policy
  • Advertise
  • Contact
US Times MirrorUS Times Mirror
Newsletter
  • Home
  • News
  • World
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
 Weather Login
US Times MirrorUS Times Mirror
Home » L.A. schools chief Alberto Carvalho placed on administrative leave amid FBI probe
News

L.A. schools chief Alberto Carvalho placed on administrative leave amid FBI probe

staffstaffFebruary 27, 20262 ViewsNo Comments
Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email
L.A. schools chief Alberto Carvalho placed on administrative leave amid FBI probe

After nearly two days of closed-session meetings, the board for the Los Angeles Unified School District placed Superintendent Alberto Carvalho on paid administrative leave amid a federal investigation into his time as the head of Miami’s school district.

On Friday, the board announced that they made the decision unanimously. The board appointed its chief of operations, Andres Chait, as interim superintendent.

Carvalho began his newest contract with LAUSD two weeks ago. It was a four-year, $1.7 million deal. 

On Wednesday, the FBI served a series of search warrants at Carvalho’s home and the Los Angeles Unified School District’s headquarters, officials said. Sources told CBS News that the FBI also raided a Florida residence linked to Carvalho. The reason for the warrants is unknown after the FBI confirmed that the underlying affidavit remained under seal.

Law enforcement sources told CBS News that the investigations in both states are directly related to Carvalho. It’s not clear what, if any, wrongdoing Carvalho is accused of. The FBI and the U.S. Attorney’s office would not comment on the investigation, which is standard until potential charges are filed.   

Prior to joining the LAUSD in 2022, Carvalho previously served as the superintendent of Miami-Dade County Public Schools.

A source with direct knowledge of the matter said the investigation predates the Trump administration and is a probe into allegations that Carvalho may have received kickbacks from a business while still superintendent of the Miami school district. The source added that the investigation is not directly tied to the LAUSD or Carvalho’s work at the district, and that there is no known culpability or connection to LAUSD.  

Operations at the LAUSD seem unaffected as the investigation continues. 

The LAUSD board issued a statement about the closed-session meeting after recessing Thursday night. 

“The District continues normal operations across all schools and offices,” LAUSD wrote in a statement on Thursday. “We are grateful to our dedicated employees, families, and students for their steady focus and commitment to our school communities.”

Matt Gutman

contributed to this report.

More from CBS News

Go deeper with The Free Press


Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram WhatsApp Email

Related News

Pirro doubles down on juvenile crime crackdown after DC mayor candidate calls Trump admin curfews ‘dangerous’

Pirro doubles down on juvenile crime crackdown after DC mayor candidate calls Trump admin curfews ‘dangerous’

Rep. Thomas Massie becomes latest GOP incumbent to fall in primary after Trump backs challenger

Rep. Thomas Massie becomes latest GOP incumbent to fall in primary after Trump backs challenger

Mango clothing tycoon’s son named suspect in death of billionaire whose brand stretches across US

Mango clothing tycoon’s son named suspect in death of billionaire whose brand stretches across US

SOS flare from shipwrecked mariner may have sparked 16,000-acre brush fire on Santa Rosa Island, US Coast Guard says

SOS flare from shipwrecked mariner may have sparked 16,000-acre brush fire on Santa Rosa Island, US Coast Guard says

Canadian noncitizen accused of illegally voting in federal and state elections

Canadian noncitizen accused of illegally voting in federal and state elections

U.S. intel assessment says military identified at least 10 mines in Strait of Hormuz

U.S. intel assessment says military identified at least 10 mines in Strait of Hormuz

Doorbell video captures man firing shotgun through front door before allegedly returning, killing teen: report

Doorbell video captures man firing shotgun through front door before allegedly returning, killing teen: report

US government agrees to drop tax claims against Trump in broadening of IRS lawsuit settlement

US government agrees to drop tax claims against Trump in broadening of IRS lawsuit settlement

Indictments announced against Chinese container firms for alleged price-fixing during COVID pandemic

Indictments announced against Chinese container firms for alleged price-fixing during COVID pandemic

Add A Comment

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Latest News

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

January 11, 2021
EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

January 11, 2021
World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

January 11, 2021
Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

January 11, 2021

Subscribe to News

Get the latest USA News and updates directly to your inbox.

Editor's Picks
Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

January 11, 2021
EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

January 11, 2021
World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

January 11, 2021
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest WhatsApp TikTok Instagram
2026 © US Times Mirror. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Lost password?