PASADENA, Calif. () — Frustration is mounting among survivors of the Eaton Fire, with residents and advocacy groups calling for transparency and accountability over billions in promised recovery funding.
“We’re a community, and we’re going to figure this thing out,” said Florence Annang of Pasadenans Organizing for Progress.
A group of survivors said that of the $2.5 billion Gov. Gavin Newsom pledged to help rebuild, $1.5 billion remains unspent more than 15 months later.
Advocates pointed to the pace of rebuilding as another concern.
“9000 structures; 6000 homes; and only 150 homes completed,” said Annang. “Houston, we have a problem!”
The wildfire relief package was intended to fund efforts such as debris removal and assistance for rebuilding schools.
However, several advocacy groups, including Eaton Fire Residents United, said data from the Department of Finance shows that a formal request has not yet been made for a significant portion of the funds.
“You’re covering up the money,” said Altadena resident Adriana Bautista. “And this is a gut punch after gut punch to our community.”
An independent investigation has found that evacuation orders were not delayed during last year’s deadly Eaton Fire.
Newsom on Thursday presented a revised budget that included additional help for fire survivors.
“A family earning up to $281,000 can get a grant-not a loan-of up to $100,000 for 12 months to address their mortgage needs,” the governor said.
Los Angeles County 5th District Supervisor Kathryn Barger said in a statement that the funding could help facilitate rebuilding, though it would not directly provide cash assistance to homeowners.
“My understanding is that while this funding would not provide direct cash assistance to homeowners, it could play an important role by facilitating access to private financing though an interest rate buy-down program and a loan loss guarantee program that would encourage lenders to finance rebuilding projects,” Barger said.
Still, some residents and advocates argue the measures fall short of the need.
“The scale of the need in Pasadena shows that to stabilize 8% of destroyed single family homes would be around $500 million,” said Vladmir Carrasco, chair of the Eaton Fire Collaborative Advocacy Committee.
“So, a $100 million investment in loans is a drop in the bucket.”
Residents said they will continue pushing for answers and additional support as rebuilding efforts move forward.
© 2026 Television,











