• Home
  • News
  • World
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest USA News and updates directly to your inbox.

What's On
Lesley Manville Receives Tony Nominee Pin from Marianne Elliott

Lesley Manville Receives Tony Nominee Pin from Marianne Elliott

May 19, 2026
Brazen bride slaps 0 per person fee on wedding invite, guests forced to sleep on air mattresses

Brazen bride slaps $250 per person fee on wedding invite, guests forced to sleep on air mattresses

May 19, 2026
The story of Cuba’s 1996 shootdown that could lead to Raúl Castro’s indictment

The story of Cuba’s 1996 shootdown that could lead to Raúl Castro’s indictment

May 19, 2026
Ukraine is our ‘number one priority’ – top EU EU military chief

Ukraine is our ‘number one priority’ – top EU EU military chief

May 19, 2026
Which European countries attract the most tourists?

Which European countries attract the most tourists?

May 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Just In
  • Lesley Manville Receives Tony Nominee Pin from Marianne Elliott
  • Brazen bride slaps $250 per person fee on wedding invite, guests forced to sleep on air mattresses
  • The story of Cuba’s 1996 shootdown that could lead to Raúl Castro’s indictment
  • Ukraine is our ‘number one priority’ – top EU EU military chief
  • Which European countries attract the most tourists?
  • Zeeko Zaki Breaks Silence on ‘FBI’ Season 8 Finale Cliffhanger — Reveals What’s Next for OA (Exclusive)
  • Chaotic teen brawl goes viral after teen terror prompts US Attorney Pirro’s plan to prosecute parents
  • Trump’s China thaw leaves Taiwan decision looming as ex-NBA star warns island holds key to US AI race
  • Privacy Policy
  • Advertise
  • Contact
US Times MirrorUS Times Mirror
Newsletter
  • Home
  • News
  • World
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
 Weather Login
US Times MirrorUS Times Mirror
Home » DC’s bid to block Trump’s National Guard deployment hits basic legal snag: Can’t sue itself
Politics

DC’s bid to block Trump’s National Guard deployment hits basic legal snag: Can’t sue itself

staffstaffApril 9, 20261 ViewsNo Comments
Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email
DC’s bid to block Trump’s National Guard deployment hits basic legal snag: Can’t sue itself

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

FIRST ON FOX: A conservative watchdog urged a federal appeals court Wednesday to toss Washington, D.C.’s National Guard lawsuit, arguing the city cannot sue itself because it is part of the federal government.

“To start, one cannot sue oneself,” Oversight Project lawyers wrote in a brief in the case. “And that is what this case ultimately is—the United States suing itself. Moreover, it is a foundational principle of the law that a municipal corporation cannot sue its sovereign creator.”

The appeal sits at the intersection of Trump’s deployment of National Guard troops in Washington last year and D.C.’s long-running fight over self-government. What began as a lawsuit over the president’s deployment of forces into the capital has now evolved into a threshold legal battle over whether the district has the right to challenge that move in federal court at all.

Oversight Project lawyers told Fox News Digital in an interview that if the appellate court judges in Washington were to agree with them, the decision would reach far beyond the National Guard lawsuit, which arose last year when the Trump administration began deploying military forces to blue cities in several jurisdictions to support immigration officials and, in D.C.’s case, to make the city “safe and beautiful.”

NATIONAL GUARD TROOPS WILL LIKELY REMAIN IN DC THROUGH 2026, OFFICIAL SAYS

“If the judges find our argument valid, it’s going to kind of restore the normal system, which is D.C. is entirely subordinate to the federal government and these disputes are resolved politically,” Oversight Project lawyer Sam Dewey said.

The proper recourse for D.C. against the federal government on any issue would be for the D.C. Council to turn to the president and Congress, not the courts, Dewey said.

The case stemmed from D.C. Attorney General Brian Schwalb suing last September, arguing Trump encroached on the city’s perceived independence by disregarding “Congress’s decision, half a century ago, to afford the residents of the District ‘the powers of local self-government.’”

A three-judge panel temporarily paused a lower court’s injunction against the administration while the appeals court continues to examine the merits of the case. Two of the judges on the panel, both Trump appointees, wrote in a concurring opinion that the pause was necessary because D.C. did not, in fact, have standing to sue, echoing what the Oversight Project detailed in its new amicus brief in the case.

“We have never recognized that the District possesses an independent sovereignty that can give rise to an Article III injury from actions of the federal government,” the two Trump-appointed judges wrote.

PIRRO TOUTS DC CRIME IS BEING PROSECUTED ‘LIKE NEVER BEFORE’ IN ANNOUNCING YEAR-END STATS

Trump, National Guard

President Donald Trump began deploying National Guard forces to cities across the country last year as part of an effort to support immigration authorities, who faced waves of protests and riots over their deportation efforts. The Supreme Court stepped in, however, saying the deployment was likely unlawful under the law Trump invoked. The order applied to cities including Portland, Oregon; and Chicago, but not D.C., because of the district’s unique status.

In D.C., Trump extended roughly 2,600 National Guard soldiers’ presence through the end of 2026, and the president has signaled he hopes to further extend that timeline, despite continued opposition from D.C.’s Democratic leadership.

“This is actually training. I never want to take them out of D.C. I mean, maybe somebody later on will do it,” Trump said in a Cabinet meeting last month.

ALITO RIPS SUPREME COURT MAJORITY AS ‘UNWISE’ FOR BLOCKING TRUMP’S NATIONAL GUARD PLAN

national guard

Briefing in the lawsuit is set to stretch through May and the appeals court could schedule oral arguments after that before making a decision on the legality of the National Guard’s presence and activities.

Fox News Digital reached out to Schwalb’s office for comment.

Read the full article here

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram WhatsApp Email

Related News

Trump’s China thaw leaves Taiwan decision looming as ex-NBA star warns island holds key to US AI race

Trump’s China thaw leaves Taiwan decision looming as ex-NBA star warns island holds key to US AI race

Tudor Dixon returns to Michigan politics with new PAC aimed at boosting Republicans in key battleground

Tudor Dixon returns to Michigan politics with new PAC aimed at boosting Republicans in key battleground

The red-state winners in the climb to become America’s next economic powerhouse

The red-state winners in the climb to become America’s next economic powerhouse

Dem who welcomed socialist mayor’s ‘change’ now sounding alarm over billionaire exodus: ‘Gravely concerned’

Dem who welcomed socialist mayor’s ‘change’ now sounding alarm over billionaire exodus: ‘Gravely concerned’

Reporter’s Notebook: Democrats say they can still flip the House despite GOP redistricting gains in the South

Reporter’s Notebook: Democrats say they can still flip the House despite GOP redistricting gains in the South

Trump’s Taiwan ‘negotiating chip’ remark sparks alarm over how far he’d shift US-China policy

Trump’s Taiwan ‘negotiating chip’ remark sparks alarm over how far he’d shift US-China policy

Senate Republican threatens to derail ICE, Border Patrol package over Trump’s billion-dollar request

Senate Republican threatens to derail ICE, Border Patrol package over Trump’s billion-dollar request

Hegseth unleashes on Massie in GOP primary showdown against Trump-backed Navy SEAL vet

Hegseth unleashes on Massie in GOP primary showdown against Trump-backed Navy SEAL vet

Senate Republicans confirm nearly 50 of Trump’s picks for energy, land management

Senate Republicans confirm nearly 50 of Trump’s picks for energy, land management

Add A Comment

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Latest News

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

January 11, 2021
EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

January 11, 2021
World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

January 11, 2021
Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

January 11, 2021

Subscribe to News

Get the latest USA News and updates directly to your inbox.

Editor's Picks
Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

January 11, 2021
EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

January 11, 2021
World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

January 11, 2021
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest WhatsApp TikTok Instagram
2026 © US Times Mirror. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Lost password?