• Home
  • News
  • World
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest USA News and updates directly to your inbox.

What's On
California dominates best winery restaurants ranking with 5 spots in top 10

California dominates best winery restaurants ranking with 5 spots in top 10

August 22, 2026
Drastic water cuts issued for California, Nevada and Arizona from drought-stricken Colorado River

Drastic water cuts issued for California, Nevada and Arizona from drought-stricken Colorado River

August 22, 2026
Ceuta buries 18 unidentified migrants after border crisis with Morocco

Ceuta buries 18 unidentified migrants after border crisis with Morocco

August 22, 2026
.97 A Month For GLP-1 Sounds Like A Scam. 19,000+ Trustpilot Reviews Say It Isn’t.

$89.97 A Month For GLP-1 Sounds Like A Scam. 19,000+ Trustpilot Reviews Say It Isn’t.

August 22, 2026
AOC endorses Sen Ed Markey as incumbent faces Dem US Senate primary challenge from Rep Seth Moulton

AOC endorses Sen Ed Markey as incumbent faces Dem US Senate primary challenge from Rep Seth Moulton

August 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Just In
  • California dominates best winery restaurants ranking with 5 spots in top 10
  • Drastic water cuts issued for California, Nevada and Arizona from drought-stricken Colorado River
  • Ceuta buries 18 unidentified migrants after border crisis with Morocco
  • $89.97 A Month For GLP-1 Sounds Like A Scam. 19,000+ Trustpilot Reviews Say It Isn’t.
  • AOC endorses Sen Ed Markey as incumbent faces Dem US Senate primary challenge from Rep Seth Moulton
  • ‘Lust-free’ gym claims to be safe spaces for Christian men — critics say it’s just a clubhouse for incels
  • Simi Valley football coach fired after kicking ball into student player’s groin during practice
  • At least two killed in fresh Russian strikes on Ukraine
  • Privacy Policy
  • Advertise
  • Contact
US Times MirrorUS Times Mirror
Newsletter
  • Home
  • News
  • World
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
 Weather Login
US Times MirrorUS Times Mirror
Home » Ceuta buries 18 unidentified migrants after border crisis with Morocco
World

Ceuta buries 18 unidentified migrants after border crisis with Morocco

staffstaffAugust 22, 20260 ViewsNo Comments
Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email
Ceuta buries 18 unidentified migrants after border crisis with Morocco

A total of 18 migrants were buried on Friday in the Muslim cemetery in Ceuta, three weeks after the border crisis that left more than 90 people dead and led to more than 72,000 people entering the autonomous city from Morocco.

ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

The bodies, all of them men, were laid to rest without having been identified. Their graves are marked only with numbers to allow possible identification later if relatives come forward to claim them, interim cemetery director Said Mohammed told AP.

During the burial, a Muslim cleric recited prayers while funeral workers placed the bodies, wrapped in white bags, in the graves and covered them with earth.

The deceased are among the victims of the mass arrival of migrants recorded in Ceuta at the end of July, considered the deadliest incident so far on Spain’s border.

Many of the victims drowned or died in a stampede as they tried to cross a breakwater near one of the border crossings. More migrants are expected to be buried in the coming days.

A Moroccan NGO calls for burials to be halted

The Moroccan Association for Human Rights has called for burials in Ceuta to be suspended until every possibility of identifying the victims and returning their bodies to Morocco has been exhausted, the country of origin of most of those who took part in the mass crossing.

The organisation urged the Moroccan Foreign Ministry to ensure that “the bodies are returned to the families so they can be buried with dignity”. The NGO described the burials in Ceuta as a “new human tragedy” that adds to the “disaster of displacement and missing people”.

A spokesperson for the Ceuta city government said last week that the procedures needed to repatriate the bodies had already been completed, but that Morocco had not accepted them. The Moroccan Foreign Ministry did not respond to questions from Associated Press about the burials that began on Friday or about claims that Rabat is blocking the repatriation of the bodies of migrants who have already been identified.

Thousands of migrants still in Ceuta

Most of the more than 72,000 people who crossed into Ceuta at the end of July returned to Morocco almost immediately. However, thousands remain in the city, prolonging a humanitarian crisis that is testing the authorities’ capacity to provide shelter and assistance.

The figures vary depending on the authority. Local officials estimate that up to 10,000 migrants, including women and children, may still be in Ceuta, while Spain’s central government puts the number at around 5,000.

Spanish and Moroccan authorities have blamed the mass arrival on rumours spread on social media and on people-smuggling networks. Migrants themselves, meanwhile, have pointed to unemployment and low wages as among the reasons that drove them to try to cross the border.

At the Muslim cemetery, the 18 men buried on Friday were laid to rest according to Islamic rite, with their bodies oriented towards Mecca. The numbered stones identifying each grave will make it possible to locate the remains if relatives come forward in future to claim the victims.

Read the full article here

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram WhatsApp Email

Related News

At least two killed in fresh Russian strikes on Ukraine

At least two killed in fresh Russian strikes on Ukraine

Are Witkoff and Kushner likely to make their first visit to Ukraine?

Are Witkoff and Kushner likely to make their first visit to Ukraine?

One killed, two teens injured in Swedish high school sword attack

One killed, two teens injured in Swedish high school sword attack

Harry returns to UK as hefty Daily Mail legal bill lands

Harry returns to UK as hefty Daily Mail legal bill lands

Portugal enacts ‘burqa law’ largely prohibiting face coverings in public

Portugal enacts ‘burqa law’ largely prohibiting face coverings in public

Coalition of the Willing talks set for Monday in Kyiv

Coalition of the Willing talks set for Monday in Kyiv

Ukraine sanctions ‘Masha and the Bear’ over alleged Russian propaganda

Ukraine sanctions ‘Masha and the Bear’ over alleged Russian propaganda

Extreme weather: torrential rain and flooding in Liguria, Lombardy and Tuscany

Extreme weather: torrential rain and flooding in Liguria, Lombardy and Tuscany

ICC head warns of demise of ‘rule of law’ after fresh US sanctions

ICC head warns of demise of ‘rule of law’ after fresh US sanctions

Add A Comment

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Latest News

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

January 11, 2021
EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

January 11, 2021
World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

January 11, 2021
Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

January 11, 2021

Subscribe to News

Get the latest USA News and updates directly to your inbox.

Editor's Picks
Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

January 11, 2021
EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

January 11, 2021
World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

January 11, 2021
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest WhatsApp TikTok Instagram
2026 © US Times Mirror. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Lost password?