• Home
  • News
  • World
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest USA News and updates directly to your inbox.

What's On
NASCAR champion Kyle Busch died after severe pneumonia progressed into sepsis, his family says

NASCAR champion Kyle Busch died after severe pneumonia progressed into sepsis, his family says

May 23, 2026
Which ‘Off Campus’ Stars Originally Auditioned for Different Book Roles Before Being Cast?

Which ‘Off Campus’ Stars Originally Auditioned for Different Book Roles Before Being Cast?

May 23, 2026
Castro indictment fuels speculation Trump may be reviving Maduro playbook against Cuba

Castro indictment fuels speculation Trump may be reviving Maduro playbook against Cuba

May 23, 2026
NASCAR champion Kyle Busch’s cause of death revealed by family

NASCAR champion Kyle Busch’s cause of death revealed by family

May 23, 2026
Grogu adorably crashes a Millennium Falcon mission in ambitious new Disneyland crossover

Grogu adorably crashes a Millennium Falcon mission in ambitious new Disneyland crossover

May 23, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Just In
  • NASCAR champion Kyle Busch died after severe pneumonia progressed into sepsis, his family says
  • Which ‘Off Campus’ Stars Originally Auditioned for Different Book Roles Before Being Cast?
  • Castro indictment fuels speculation Trump may be reviving Maduro playbook against Cuba
  • NASCAR champion Kyle Busch’s cause of death revealed by family
  • Grogu adorably crashes a Millennium Falcon mission in ambitious new Disneyland crossover
  • Trump says U.S. is “getting a lot closer” to agreement with Iran
  • These 17 Loose, Breezy Pants Channel Effortless Hamptons Rich Mom Style — From $20
  • Pentagon declassifies Apollo 12 audio of astronauts describing unexplained ‘streaks of light’ in space
  • Privacy Policy
  • Advertise
  • Contact
US Times MirrorUS Times Mirror
Newsletter
  • Home
  • News
  • World
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
 Weather Login
US Times MirrorUS Times Mirror
Home » Castro indictment fuels speculation Trump may be reviving Maduro playbook against Cuba
Politics

Castro indictment fuels speculation Trump may be reviving Maduro playbook against Cuba

staffstaffMay 23, 20261 ViewsNo Comments
Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email
Castro indictment fuels speculation Trump may be reviving Maduro playbook against Cuba

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

The Trump administration’s decision to indict former Cuban leader Raúl Castro is fueling comparisons to the pressure campaign President Donald Trump previously used against Venezuelan strongman Nicolás Maduro, as the White House ramps up economic pressure, direct appeals to Cubans and military visibility in the Caribbean.

The indictment — tied to Cuba’s 1996 shootdown of two civilian aircraft that killed three U.S. citizens — has raised questions about whether the administration is testing a Venezuela-style pressure strategy against Havana’s communist regime.

The USS Nimitz Carrier Strike Group has been operating in the Caribbean under U.S. Southern Command authorities, providing a visible military backdrop to the administration’s increasingly confrontational posture toward Havana. Publicly announced assets include fighter aircraft, electronic warfare aircraft and guided-missile destroyers.

The broader posture has drawn comparisons to the administration’s earlier campaign against Maduro, which similarly began with criminal charges against a longtime anti-American strongman before expanding into a wider regime-pressure effort involving sanctions, diplomatic isolation and heightened U.S. military activity in the Caribbean.

OBAMA’S BASEBALL OUTING WITH CASTRO REIGNITES FURY AFTER TRUMP DOJ DROPS HAMMER ON CUBAN LEADER

Federal prosecutors charged Castro and several former Cuban officials Wednesday in connection with the 1996 shootdown of two Brothers to the Rescue civilian aircraft that killed four men, including three U.S. citizens. Castro was Cuba’s defense minister at the time of the attack. 

U.S. prosecutors allege Castro helped authorize the operation after the civilian planes repeatedly entered Cuban airspace while conducting missions linked to the Miami-based Brothers to the Rescue organization, which searched for Cuban migrants at sea and opposed the communist government in Havana.

Cuban fighter jets ultimately shot down two unarmed aircraft over international waters in 1996, according to the indictment, triggering international condemnation and one of the most severe crises in U.S.-Cuba relations since the Cold War. 

“At the very least, it means symbolically that he is now set up just as Nicolás Maduro was,” Christine Balling, a Cuba expert at the Institute of World Politics and former adviser to U.S. Special Operations Command South, told Fox News Digital.

Maduro Carcas Meeting

CIA Director John Ratcliffe meeting with officials in Havana, Cuba

During Trump’s earlier pressure campaign against Maduro, the U.S. indicted the Venezuelan leader on narcoterrorism charges, tightened sanctions on the country’s oil sector, backed opposition efforts to remove him and increased military operations in the Caribbean.

The campaign ultimately culminated in a U.S.-backed operation that removed Maduro from effective power and reopened channels of American influence inside Venezuela through energy negotiations and cooperation involving senior figures including Vice President Delcy Rodríguez.

RUBIO LAYS OUT THREE-PHASE PLAN FOR VENEZUELA AFTER MADURO: ‘NOT JUST WINGING IT’

Balling cautioned that she did not believe the U.S. was necessarily preparing the same type of operation against Castro or Cuba itself.

“I don’t think that we are necessarily going to conduct the same operation,” she said. “Raúl Castro is 94 years old. It might not be worth the trouble.”

Still, Balling argued, the indictment sends “a very straightforward message that we are 100% behind the fall of the Castro regime.”

The White House could not immediately be reached for comment. 

RUBIO SAYS CUBA NEEDS ‘NEW PEOPLE IN CHARGE’ AS BLACKOUTS, UNREST GRIP ISLAND

Secretary of State Marco Rubio reinforced that message this week with a direct appeal to the Cuban people, accusing the communist government of blaming the island’s collapse on the U.S. “blockade” while enriching military-linked elites who dominate the Cuban economy. Rubio also highlighted the success of Cubans living abroad, arguing the Cuban people — not the regime — were capable of prosperity.

Balling described Rubio’s remarks as a deliberate attempt to undermine Havana’s domestic propaganda and convince Cubans that the regime, rather than the United States, bears primary responsibility for the island’s economic collapse.

“Rubio wants them to understand that the regime is acting against their own interests,” she said.

Trump further fueled speculation this week when asked whether tensions with Cuba would escalate following the Castro indictment.

“There won’t be escalation,” Trump said. “We won’t have to.”

Some analysts interpreted Trump’s comments — combined with Rubio’s direct appeals to ordinary Cubans — as a sign the administration may believe internal pressure against the regime could eventually accomplish what direct military escalation would not.

“It’s sowing the seeds of a counter-revolutionary feeling,” Balling said.

But Balling warned that any serious destabilization of Cuba could trigger consequences far beyond the island itself, particularly a potential mass migration crisis just 90 miles from Florida.

“If we go so far as to engage militarily, we are probably looking at thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of refugees,” she said.

Cuba has already been suffering through rolling blackouts, fuel shortages and a worsening economic crisis as the administration increases pressure on the island’s energy lifelines.

Despite the increasingly confrontational rhetoric, Washington has also kept open limited channels of communication with Havana.

CIA Director John Ratcliffe traveled publicly to Cuba on May 14 for talks with senior Cuban security officials, delivering what U.S. officials described as a warning that Cuba could no longer serve as a “safe haven for adversaries” while also offering the prospect of deeper economic and security engagement if Havana makes “fundamental changes.” 

The visit came as the Trump administration pressed a $100 million humanitarian aid proposal aimed at addressing Cuba’s worsening blackout and fuel crisis. Cuban officials signaled they were open to accepting assistance distributed through independent humanitarian and religious organizations rather than directly through the government.

Analysts say Cuba’s armed forces are far weaker than during the Cold War, when the island fielded one of Latin America’s largest militaries with Soviet backing. Today, experts describe the Cuban military as severely degraded by decades of economic collapse, fuel shortages and aging equipment.

“Cuba had a First World military in a Third World country,” Frank Mora, former deputy assistant secretary of defense for the Western Hemisphere under President Barack Obama, told The Wall Street Journal this week. “It’s a shell of a shell of what it used to be.”

Still, analysts caution that Cuba’s weakness does not necessarily make the island easy to pressure or destabilize.

Unlike Venezuela, where the U.S. has at times maintained limited economic engagement despite sanctions on Maduro’s government, Cuba’s military-linked conglomerate GAESA controls large portions of the island’s economy, including tourism, retail and infrastructure.

Balling argued that the deep integration between the regime and the broader Cuban state could complicate any attempt to isolate Havana’s leadership without further destabilizing the country itself.

The administration also has increasingly framed Cuba as a broader national security concern beyond the island’s deteriorating conventional military capabilities. Rubio this week accused Havana of hosting Chinese and Russian intelligence infrastructure.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

For now, administration officials have stopped short of outlining any military plans toward Cuba. 

But the combination of criminal charges, economic pressure, information campaigns and visible U.S. military assets in the region has convinced many Cuba watchers that the White House is exploring whether the Maduro pressure model can be adapted just 90 miles from American shores.

Read the full article here

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram WhatsApp Email

Related News

Military families want DOJ to distribute nearly 0M from French cement company found guilty of bribing ISIS

Military families want DOJ to distribute nearly $800M from French cement company found guilty of bribing ISIS

DOJ, Treasury investigate nonprofits and leaders allegedly coordinating with Cuba in influence campaign

DOJ, Treasury investigate nonprofits and leaders allegedly coordinating with Cuba in influence campaign

‘Moderate’ Dem’s unearthed ‘deconstruct’ law enforcement comments draw fire from GOP critics

‘Moderate’ Dem’s unearthed ‘deconstruct’ law enforcement comments draw fire from GOP critics

Gas prices threaten Memorial Day road trips as pump costs hit historic highs

Gas prices threaten Memorial Day road trips as pump costs hit historic highs

Fraudsters abused Biden’s lax policies to steal billions, financial watchdog claims

Fraudsters abused Biden’s lax policies to steal billions, financial watchdog claims

Platner’s brutal attacks on Army soldiers as ‘fat, lazy’ revealed in resurfaced posts

Platner’s brutal attacks on Army soldiers as ‘fat, lazy’ revealed in resurfaced posts

Trump doubles down on .8 billion ‘slush fund’ that killed his agenda, spurred Republican rebellion

Trump doubles down on $1.8 billion ‘slush fund’ that killed his agenda, spurred Republican rebellion

WATCH: House Dems unload on Texas Democrat over ‘demented’ antisemitic comments

WATCH: House Dems unload on Texas Democrat over ‘demented’ antisemitic comments

As China tensions loom, US temporarily pauses Taiwan weapons sales due to Iran war, acting Navy secretary says

As China tensions loom, US temporarily pauses Taiwan weapons sales due to Iran war, acting Navy secretary says

Add A Comment

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Latest News

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

January 11, 2021
EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

January 11, 2021
World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

January 11, 2021
Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

January 11, 2021

Subscribe to News

Get the latest USA News and updates directly to your inbox.

Editor's Picks
Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

January 11, 2021
EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

January 11, 2021
World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

January 11, 2021
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest WhatsApp TikTok Instagram
2026 © US Times Mirror. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Lost password?