• Home
  • News
  • World
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest USA News and updates directly to your inbox.

What's On
Historic shortage is squeezing an American dinner staple and relief could be years away

Historic shortage is squeezing an American dinner staple and relief could be years away

August 17, 2026
American tourist killed by lightning strike on Italy’s Mount Etna, reports say

American tourist killed by lightning strike on Italy’s Mount Etna, reports say

August 17, 2026
Germany warns EU electricity tax plan threatens national sovereignty

Germany warns EU electricity tax plan threatens national sovereignty

August 17, 2026
Victorian water tower at Sandringham just opened as a couple’s escape

Victorian water tower at Sandringham just opened as a couple’s escape

August 17, 2026
Love Island USA’s Nic Offers Cryptic Response to Rumors of Reignited Olandria Romance

Love Island USA’s Nic Offers Cryptic Response to Rumors of Reignited Olandria Romance

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Just In
  • Historic shortage is squeezing an American dinner staple and relief could be years away
  • American tourist killed by lightning strike on Italy’s Mount Etna, reports say
  • Germany warns EU electricity tax plan threatens national sovereignty
  • Victorian water tower at Sandringham just opened as a couple’s escape
  • Love Island USA’s Nic Offers Cryptic Response to Rumors of Reignited Olandria Romance
  • IN PICTURES: Historic Smithsonian museum packed with woke political messaging on race and gender
  • Is Miami really costlier than New York City? Why top developers say the math still favors Florida
  • Huntington Park church holds special Mass in solidarity with quake-ravaged Colombia
  • Privacy Policy
  • Advertise
  • Contact
US Times MirrorUS Times Mirror
Newsletter
  • Home
  • News
  • World
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
 Weather Login
US Times MirrorUS Times Mirror
Home » Australia sets launch for sweeping gun buyback after Bondi Beach terror attack: ‘Sensible gun reform’
World

Australia sets launch for sweeping gun buyback after Bondi Beach terror attack: ‘Sensible gun reform’

staffstaffAugust 17, 20262 ViewsNo Comments
Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email
Australia sets launch for sweeping gun buyback after Bondi Beach terror attack: ‘Sensible gun reform’

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

New South Wales in Australia is slated to begin a gun buyback scheme in November, the first state in the nation to kick-off the program as part of the national response to a shooting spree that killed 15 people at a Hanukkah celebration in the state capital of Sydney, Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese announced on Sunday.

Albanese and New South Wales Premier Chris Minns said the scheme would start on November 2. People who return eligible firearms under the first phase would receive fixed compensation ranging from $450 to $1,000 per firearm, depending on the type. A second phase will provide a valuation pathway for certain higher-value firearms, capped at $10,000 per firearm.

Albanese’s center-left government adopted new gun-control laws in January in the aftermath of the December 14 attack at a Bondi Beach Hanukkah celebration, including the gun buyback program and tighter firearms measures. New South Wales separately passed tighter state firearms laws in December, while the federal government also strengthened laws targeting hate speech and extremism.

The pair of alleged gunmen used firearms that were obtained legally. Australia’s government said there were a record 4.1 million firearms in the country last year, including more than 1.1 million in New South Wales, its most populous state.

AUSTRALIA VOWS TO STRENGTHEN HATE SPEECH LAWS, GUN CONTROL IN WAKE OF BONDI BEACH ATTACK

“We must do everything we can to make sure the antisemitic terrorist attack in Bondi doesn’t happen again. That includes meaningful nationwide gun reform,” Albanese said in a statement.

The initiative is set to be Australia’s largest buyback since a similar effort following the 1996 massacre in Tasmania’s Port Arthur, when a gunman killed 35 people.

“Australians are quite rightly proud of our gun laws, but the fact is there are more guns in Australia today than there were at the time of dealing with the Port Arthur gun buyback ,” Albanese said.

New South Wales generally limits individual firearm ownership to four guns under restrictions sparked by the Bondi Beach attack, with exemptions allowingcertain licence holders, including some primary producers, sport shooters and others with specified genuine reasons, to possess more firearms. It estimates that up to 274,000 registered firearms — about 24% of the total number of registered firearms in New South Wales — and about 50,000 license holders are affected by the new limits on gun ownership and reclassification of some types of firearms.

VIRGINIA GUN SALES SPIKE AHEAD OF JULY 1 ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN SIGNED BY GOV. SPANBERGER

Memorial on Bondi Beach's footbridge

“After Bondi, we promised the people of New South Wales we would introduce the toughest gun laws in the country, and that’s exactly what we did,” Minns said. “The next step is getting the guns that are no longer permitted under those laws out of circulation and permanently off our streets.”

“There are potentially hundreds of thousands of firearms affected by these changes,” Minns added. “We want those guns handed in, compensated for and safely destroyed. This is a big undertaking, but the principle behind it is simple: fewer dangerous guns in our community means a safer New South Wales.”

The attack was allegedly carried out by a father and son who police believe were inspired by the Islamic State.

The 50-year-old father, Sajid Akram, was shot and killed by police at the scene, while the surviving suspect, Naveed Akram, 24, has not yet entered pleas on a slew of charges, including 15 counts of murder. Authorities have charged him with 59 offenses in total, including committing a terrorist act and 15 counts of murder.

People gather at a memorial for the Bondi Beach attack victims

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

A man identified as Ahmed al Ahmed has been praised as a hero for tackling and disarming one of the gunmen. He suffered gunshot wounds in the incident and is still recovering.

“After the tragedy at Bondi, we committed to dealing with the motive and the method,” Minister for Home Affairs Tony Burke said. “Since then, we have strengthened our hate crimes and hate speech laws, which are now the strongest in our country’s history.”

“Today we continue the proud Australian tradition of sensible gun reform designed to protect our community from weapons which have no utility other than to cause harm.” he added.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram WhatsApp Email

Related News

Germany warns EU electricity tax plan threatens national sovereignty

Germany warns EU electricity tax plan threatens national sovereignty

Exclusive: Brussels keen to monitor UFOs under the radar

Exclusive: Brussels keen to monitor UFOs under the radar

EU to propose tougher Russia sanctions this autumn, Kaja Kallas says

EU to propose tougher Russia sanctions this autumn, Kaja Kallas says

Can the EU stop smoking by taxing cigarettes? Take our poll

Can the EU stop smoking by taxing cigarettes? Take our poll

Is the EU cracking down on Tobacco? Ask the Euronews Chatbot

Is the EU cracking down on Tobacco? Ask the Euronews Chatbot

Iran war thrusts Diego Garcia into spotlight as official calls US military base ‘integral’

Iran war thrusts Diego Garcia into spotlight as official calls US military base ‘integral’

Deceased Cambridge academic’s family decries ‘campaign of harassment’

Deceased Cambridge academic’s family decries ‘campaign of harassment’

12 killed in overnight stikes in Ukraine and Russia

12 killed in overnight stikes in Ukraine and Russia

Bab el-Mandeb Strait faces growing threat as Houthi attacks raise fears of a second Hormuz

Bab el-Mandeb Strait faces growing threat as Houthi attacks raise fears of a second Hormuz

Add A Comment

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Latest News

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

January 11, 2021
EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

January 11, 2021
World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

January 11, 2021
Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

January 11, 2021

Subscribe to News

Get the latest USA News and updates directly to your inbox.

Editor's Picks
Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

January 11, 2021
EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

January 11, 2021
World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

January 11, 2021
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest WhatsApp TikTok Instagram
2026 © US Times Mirror. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Lost password?