• Home
  • News
  • World
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest USA News and updates directly to your inbox.

What's On
Aya Cash Says Just Being in GIANT ‘Is the Win’

Aya Cash Says Just Being in GIANT ‘Is the Win’

May 20, 2026
The ultimate guide to sleep hacks: Which ones really work — and what to skip

The ultimate guide to sleep hacks: Which ones really work — and what to skip

May 20, 2026
Iran threatens to take war “beyond the region” if Trump orders new U.S. attacks

Iran threatens to take war “beyond the region” if Trump orders new U.S. attacks

May 20, 2026
Von der Leyen calls for completing single market in EU parliament addr

Von der Leyen calls for completing single market in EU parliament addr

May 20, 2026
Welcome to Plathville’s Lydia Confirms She and Zac Didn’t Wait a Week to Have Sex After Wedding

Welcome to Plathville’s Lydia Confirms She and Zac Didn’t Wait a Week to Have Sex After Wedding

May 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Just In
  • Aya Cash Says Just Being in GIANT ‘Is the Win’
  • The ultimate guide to sleep hacks: Which ones really work — and what to skip
  • Iran threatens to take war “beyond the region” if Trump orders new U.S. attacks
  • Von der Leyen calls for completing single market in EU parliament addr
  • Welcome to Plathville’s Lydia Confirms She and Zac Didn’t Wait a Week to Have Sex After Wedding
  • Platner’s deleted Reddit sparks outrage again as he appears to mock wounded soldier: ‘Didn’t deserve to live’
  • ‘Deserved To Be On The List’: Brazil Coach Sorry For João Pedro’s World Cup Snub
  • Wake Up With BroadwayWorld May 20, 2026- EVERY BRILLIANT THING Tops the Grosses and More
  • Privacy Policy
  • Advertise
  • Contact
US Times MirrorUS Times Mirror
Newsletter
  • Home
  • News
  • World
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
 Weather Login
US Times MirrorUS Times Mirror
Home » Israel unveils game-changing artillery against Iran-backed Hezbollah amid fragile ceasefire
World

Israel unveils game-changing artillery against Iran-backed Hezbollah amid fragile ceasefire

staffstaffApril 21, 20261 ViewsNo Comments
Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email
Israel unveils game-changing artillery against Iran-backed Hezbollah amid fragile ceasefire

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

JERUSALEM: The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) have introduced a new self-propelled howitzer to combat Hezbollah terrorists in Lebanon as a defensive weapon against Hezbollah attacks.

Ro’em, the Hebrew word for thunder, could play an important role if the 10-day fragile ceasefire breaks down between Israel and Hezbollah. A second round of talks aimed at disarming Hezbollah between the ambassadors of Lebanon and Israel are slated for Thursday in Washington D.C. The ceasefire went into effect Thursday.

Ehud Bibi, Chief Artillery Officer for the IDF, told Fox News Digital that “The Ro’em brings a new capability to the Artillery Corps and the IDF as a whole, reshaping how firepower is employed on the battlefield. This marks a historic milestone, introducing a new era of more precise, faster, and more flexible fire enabling us to support troops on the ground more effectively.”

LAWMAKERS QUESTION WHETHER US MOVING FAST ENOUGH TO CAPITALIZE ON HEZBOLLAH’S WEAKENED STATE

According to the IDF, “During the activity, the troops conducted precise artillery fire on several Hezbollah anti-tank and surface-to-surface missile launch positions, from which attacks had been launched against IDF troops. The firing was effective, achieving operational results and introducing new artillery capabilities, thereby reducing the threat posed to IDF troops and Israeli civilians.”

The IDF said the launches were purely defensive attacks against Iran-backed Hezbollah terrorists during the truce. The howitzer can fire roughly 40 kilometers (about 25 miles). A team of three IDF soldiers operate the Ro’em.

Elbit Systems stated on its website that it’s “capable of automatic loading and laying of the gun system, rapid in-and-out action times and high rate of fire. It offers a protected cabin for a crew of three.” Adding that, “Depending on the mission, SIGMA is capable of automatically selecting and loading the required projectile, propellant and fuze and laying the gun to optimally engage targets.” Also known as SIGMA, the Ro’em is produced by South Carolina-based subsidiary of Elbit Systems of America.

IDF's Ro'em howitizer

Hezbollah violated a previous November 2024 ceasefire, which was brokered by the U.S., when it launched missiles into Israel on March 2 in response to the joint Israel-Iran war on Iran’s regime. The Lebanese government and the Lebanese Armed Forces failed to adhere to a deadline in 2025 to disarm Hezbollah.

The United Nations Security Council resolution 1701 also required that Hezbollah be disarmed following the 2006 war between Israel and Lebanon.

MACRON UNDER FIRE OVER IRAN, HEZBOLLAH POLICY AS TRUMP ADMIN HOSTS ISRAEL-LEBANON TALKS

According to an IDF statement sent to Fox News Digital about the modern howitzer, last Tuesday, “Troops from the 282nd Fire Brigade of the Artillery Corps, led by the ‘Ro’em’ branch at the Mali (Ground Training Center) Fire Center, conducted… their first operational firing using the “Ro’em” howitzer, in support of IDF troops operating in northern Israel.”

The statement continued that “The ‘Ro’em”’is a new howitzer recently introduced into IDF service, bringing advanced and innovative capabilities to the battlefield. It significantly increases the rate of fire, enables engagement at longer ranges compared to existing systems, and provides enhanced mobility and maneuverability in the field.

Hezbollah attacks on Israel since March 2 resulted in the killing of 2 civilians and 15 Israeli soldiers. Reuters reported that Hezbollah has not disclosed its casualty figures.

Hezbollah Flag

Lebanese authorities report that nearly 2,300 people in Lebanon have been killed since March 2. Those figures don’t differentiate between Hezbollah terrorists and civilians.

Speaking at a Memorial Day event for the country’s fallen troops, the country’s defense Minister Israel Katz pledged to ensure that Israelis in the north, who have faced massive aerial attacks from Hezbollah, will be secure.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

“Even as we gather here to honor our fallen, after weeks of determined operations by IDF forces in southern Lebanon, our commitment to the residents of the north remains clear and unequivocal, to bring them security,” Katz said. He noted that “If the Lebanese government continues not to fulfill its obligations, the IDF will do so through continued military activity.”

Reuters contributed to this report.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram WhatsApp Email

Related News

Von der Leyen calls for completing single market in EU parliament addr

Von der Leyen calls for completing single market in EU parliament addr

US planning to reduce commitment to NATO – including in wartime

US planning to reduce commitment to NATO – including in wartime

Watch: Beyond the guest list—what Russia and China really want from each other

Watch: Beyond the guest list—what Russia and China really want from each other

Newsletter: Breakthrough on EU-US trade deal

Newsletter: Breakthrough on EU-US trade deal

The EU simplifies the AI Act and bans ‘nudifier’ apps

The EU simplifies the AI Act and bans ‘nudifier’ apps

EU approves trade deal with the US

EU approves trade deal with the US

How the EU plans to ban non-consensual ‘nudifier apps’

How the EU plans to ban non-consensual ‘nudifier apps’

Spanish ex-PM Zapatero under investigation for influence peddling

Spanish ex-PM Zapatero under investigation for influence peddling

Malaysia seeks €216m from Norwegian firm over scrapped missile deal

Malaysia seeks €216m from Norwegian firm over scrapped missile deal

Add A Comment

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Latest News

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

January 11, 2021
EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

January 11, 2021
World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

January 11, 2021
Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

January 11, 2021

Subscribe to News

Get the latest USA News and updates directly to your inbox.

Editor's Picks
Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

January 11, 2021
EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

January 11, 2021
World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

January 11, 2021
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest WhatsApp TikTok Instagram
2026 © US Times Mirror. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Lost password?