• Home
  • News
  • World
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest USA News and updates directly to your inbox.

What's On
Justice Department asks court to reinstate criminal charges against Kilmar Abrego Garcia

Justice Department asks court to reinstate criminal charges against Kilmar Abrego Garcia

August 17, 2026
Robin Williams’ 3 Kids Reveal New Plans to Share Their Dad’s ‘Unique Talent and Humor’

Robin Williams’ 3 Kids Reveal New Plans to Share Their Dad’s ‘Unique Talent and Humor’

August 17, 2026
RAGTIME Revival Takes Final Bows on Broadway

RAGTIME Revival Takes Final Bows on Broadway

August 17, 2026
Virginia man acquitted by insanity in killing flees US during 48-hour mental hospital pass

Virginia man acquitted by insanity in killing flees US during 48-hour mental hospital pass

August 17, 2026
Mike Johnson taunts Hakeem Jeffries for losing Dems’ civil war ‘in his own backyard’

Mike Johnson taunts Hakeem Jeffries for losing Dems’ civil war ‘in his own backyard’

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Just In
  • Justice Department asks court to reinstate criminal charges against Kilmar Abrego Garcia
  • Robin Williams’ 3 Kids Reveal New Plans to Share Their Dad’s ‘Unique Talent and Humor’
  • RAGTIME Revival Takes Final Bows on Broadway
  • Virginia man acquitted by insanity in killing flees US during 48-hour mental hospital pass
  • Mike Johnson taunts Hakeem Jeffries for losing Dems’ civil war ‘in his own backyard’
  • Nearly 1M Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge and Ram vehicles recalled over camera glitch
  • Saints first-round pick Jordyn Tyson could miss 2 months with hamstring injury from training camp
  • Disneyland fans call for return of defunct ride amid major park ‘reimagining’
  • Privacy Policy
  • Advertise
  • Contact
US Times MirrorUS Times Mirror
Newsletter
  • Home
  • News
  • World
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
 Weather Login
US Times MirrorUS Times Mirror
Home » How leaks, demands and a phone call derailed Estée Lauder’s deal to create a $40B luxe giant
Lifestyle

How leaks, demands and a phone call derailed Estée Lauder’s deal to create a $40B luxe giant

staffstaffMay 22, 20263 ViewsNo Comments
Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email
How leaks, demands and a phone call derailed Estée Lauder’s deal to create a B luxe giant

US cosmetics maker Estée Lauder and Spanish perfume group Puig had been finalizing the details of a deal when talks fell apart late on Thursday, preventing a merger that would have created a $40 billion luxury beauty giant.

The merged company would have put together brands such as Tom Ford, Clinique and MAC with Carolina Herrera and Charlotte Tilbury, popular with TikTok influencers and affluent millennials.

But leaks, disagreements between the powerful controlling families, and demands, including from make-up magnate Charlotte Tilbury, led the talks to collapse, five people with direct knowledge of the deal told Reuters.

The latest stumbling block had been demands linked to Charlotte Tilbury, the founder of the eponymous beauty brand majority-owned by Puig. Getty Images

On Thursday evening in Barcelona, and morning in New York, Puig grandee Marc Puig got on the phone with Estée Lauder chairman William Lauder to assess the deteriorating situation, one of the sources said.

Shortly afterwards, advisers on both sides began exchanging messages, according to a second source with knowledge of the discussions. One of the messages included a skull emoji meaning the deal was dead.

Spokespeople at Puig and Estée Lauder declined to comment.

Charlotte Tilbury’s minority stake

The latest stumbling block had been demands linked to Charlotte Tilbury, the founder of the eponymous beauty brand majority-owned by Puig, regarding the terms of her minority stake, all five sources said.

There were disagreements between the powerful controlling families. Estee lauder ChairmAN William Lauder with Elizabeth Hurley. Stephen Lovekin/Shutterstock

Charlotte Tilbury’s firm declined to comment.

The five sources, close to both sides of the talks, spoke on condition of anonymity because the process was confidential.

Three of the people said the two groups had repeatedly been about to announce a merger.

Estée Lauder had assembled a team of advisers who worked through last weekend on a valuation of Puig, requested by Spain’s stock market regulator as part of the proposed transaction, according to one of the sources.

Estée Lauder investors’ dislike of the deal was another factor that hindered the talks, sources said. REUTERS

Months of negotiations across continents

Discussions between the two sides began late last year, one of the sources said.

When they became public knowledge in March, investors viewed the prospect of a deal as better for Puig than Estée Lauder. Puig’s shares spiked and the US company’s shares fell.

The reverse happened after the talks collapsed as Estée Lauder rose around 10% on Friday, while Puig fell 13%.

Estée Lauder investors’ dislike of the deal was another factor that hindered the talks, according to three sources.

Marc Puig and Anna Wintour in 2014. Getty Images

The company’s return to stronger earnings growth in its most recent quarter meanwhile increased its confidence in remaining independent, the three sources added.

The months of negotiations included meetings in Paris, New York and Barcelona, and achieved apparent agreement in principle on issues such as the governance of the new entity.

Other points discussed included a possible dual listing in New York and Madrid, retaining Barcelona as the headquarters for the combined fragrances business, and details on how to reach the synergies of the combined company, two of the people said.

Tilbury and King Charles in New York last month. via REUTERS

Both founding families, Lauder and Puig, wanted to keep a say in the new group, according to two sources with knowledge.

The companies also struggled to resolve how to structure assets such as Charlotte Tilbury and sun care brand Isdin – two of Puig’s main profit-drivers, in which the group does not hold full ownership, two of the sources said.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram WhatsApp Email

Related News

Disneyland fans call for return of defunct ride amid major park ‘reimagining’

Disneyland fans call for return of defunct ride amid major park ‘reimagining’

California city lands near top of underrated college towns ranking

California city lands near top of underrated college towns ranking

New York families need nearly 0K per year to live comfortably — topping list of costliest states: study

New York families need nearly $300K per year to live comfortably — topping list of costliest states: study

Exclusive | Shoeless Long Island runner has put best foot forward through 6 marathons — shocking everyone from cops to top athletes: ‘Just keep going’

Exclusive | Shoeless Long Island runner has put best foot forward through 6 marathons — shocking everyone from cops to top athletes: ‘Just keep going’

Waitress provokes fed-up customers after claiming that ‘gratuity’ isn’t a tip — and why they should give even more

Waitress provokes fed-up customers after claiming that ‘gratuity’ isn’t a tip — and why they should give even more

Video shows adorable, tiny pig running wild in West Hollywood, living its best life and LA is obsessed

Video shows adorable, tiny pig running wild in West Hollywood, living its best life and LA is obsessed

Granola for breastfeeding moms sold in California recalled over deadly contamination fears

Granola for breastfeeding moms sold in California recalled over deadly contamination fears

Forgotten waterpark footage perfectly captures ‘unabashed California culture that is long gone’

Forgotten waterpark footage perfectly captures ‘unabashed California culture that is long gone’

Most Americans think snack foods have ‘too many’ ingredients — especially Gen Zers, millennials: survey

Most Americans think snack foods have ‘too many’ ingredients — especially Gen Zers, millennials: survey

Add A Comment

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Latest News

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

January 11, 2021
EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

January 11, 2021
World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

January 11, 2021
Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

January 11, 2021

Subscribe to News

Get the latest USA News and updates directly to your inbox.

Editor's Picks
Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

January 11, 2021
EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

January 11, 2021
World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

January 11, 2021
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest WhatsApp TikTok Instagram
2026 © US Times Mirror. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Lost password?