• Home
  • News
  • World
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest USA News and updates directly to your inbox.

What's On
Savannah Chrisley Confirms She Is Dating Again, Says She’s Found the ‘Perfect Partner’

Savannah Chrisley Confirms She Is Dating Again, Says She’s Found the ‘Perfect Partner’

May 21, 2026
Tennessee man jailed 37 days over Facebook meme mocking Charlie Kirk’s death wins 0K settlement

Tennessee man jailed 37 days over Facebook meme mocking Charlie Kirk’s death wins $850K settlement

May 21, 2026
Trump-backed nominees dominate primary contests as president tightens party vice grip

Trump-backed nominees dominate primary contests as president tightens party vice grip

May 21, 2026
US targets Iran’s .7 billion crypto network tied to regime operations

US targets Iran’s $7.7 billion crypto network tied to regime operations

May 21, 2026
Hall of Famer Joe Mauer praises MLB for the ABS challenge system, says it’s been good for the game

Hall of Famer Joe Mauer praises MLB for the ABS challenge system, says it’s been good for the game

May 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Just In
  • Savannah Chrisley Confirms She Is Dating Again, Says She’s Found the ‘Perfect Partner’
  • Tennessee man jailed 37 days over Facebook meme mocking Charlie Kirk’s death wins $850K settlement
  • Trump-backed nominees dominate primary contests as president tightens party vice grip
  • US targets Iran’s $7.7 billion crypto network tied to regime operations
  • Hall of Famer Joe Mauer praises MLB for the ABS challenge system, says it’s been good for the game
  • Andrew Rannells and Allison Janney Star in MISS YOU, LOVE YOU Trailer
  • 2 diets found to prevent menopause weight gain — and you don’t have to give up carbs
  • Natural gas leak snarls traffic at LAX after gas line, water main struck during construction, LAFD says
  • Privacy Policy
  • Advertise
  • Contact
US Times MirrorUS Times Mirror
Newsletter
  • Home
  • News
  • World
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
 Weather Login
US Times MirrorUS Times Mirror
Home » Air France flight bound for Detroit diverted to Canada over passenger from Congo, officials say
News

Air France flight bound for Detroit diverted to Canada over passenger from Congo, officials say

staffstaffMay 21, 20261 ViewsNo Comments
Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email
Air France flight bound for Detroit diverted to Canada over passenger from Congo, officials say

An Air France flight from Paris to Detroit, Michigan, was forced to divert to Montreal, Canada, on Wednesday due to U.S. flight restrictions linked to the Ebola outbreak after it was determined that one of the passengers was from the Democratic Republic of Congo, federal officials said.

Air France boarded the passenger “in error on a flight to the United States,” a U.S. Customs and Border Protection spokesperson told CBS News in a statement.

“Due to entry restrictions put in place to reduce the risk of the Ebola virus, the passenger should not have boarded the plane,” the CBP spokesperson said. “CBP took decisive action and prohibited the flight carrying that traveler from landing at Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport, and instead, diverted to Montreal, Canada.”

CBP did not say when the person had last been in the Congo or whether they were showing symptoms of the virus. It wasn’t immediately clear if the passenger was a Congolese national or had been traveling there.

When reached about the incident, the Federal Aviation Administration directed CBS News to CBP. 

CBS News has also reached out to Air France and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for comment.

According to the flight tracking website FlightAware, Air France Flight 378 from Paris-Charles de Gaulle International Airport landed at Montreal Trudeau International Airport at 5:15 p.m. ET. The status of the passenger from the Congo was unknown. 

Deborah Mistor, a business class passenger aboard the flight, told CBS News in an interview Thursday night that the rest of the passengers were then flown from Montreal to Detroit aboard the same aircraft.

Mistor revealed that the passengers were notified by the captain about four hours before they were initially due to arrive in Detroit that U.S. authorities were not allowing the plane to land in the U.S. and the flight was being diverted. The captain did not provide a reason why, however.

“I think enough people must have been questioning what was going on, because 30 minutes later, he came back on and said that he wanted to confirm that there was nothing wrong with the plane, there were no technical difficulties, that it was strictly because of U.S. authorities not allowing us to land in the U.S.,” Mistor told CBS News.

She said that all the flight attendants then put on face masks.

“They’re telling you it’s OK, it’s not a mechanical issue, but everybody has a mask on,” Mistor said. 

On Monday, the CDC announced that people without U.S. passports who had traveled to Congo, Uganda or South Sudan in the past three weeks would be restricted from entering the country.

Earlier Wednesday, the Department of Homeland Security, the parent agency of CBP, confirmed that beginning Thursday, it would require all U.S.-bound flights carrying foreign travelers who have been in Congo, Uganda or South Sudan at any point in the previous 21 days to fly into Washington-Dulles International Airport in Virginia.

The rule, according to its language, is designed to funnel those travelers to an airport “where the U.S. government is focusing public health resources to implement enhanced public health measures.”

It’s unclear how the DHS rule impacts the CDC’s earlier order.

An Ebola outbreak centered in eastern Congo was confirmed May 15 by the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention. World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Wednesday there were at least 600 suspected Ebola cases so far, including 139 suspected deaths from the virus. 

Health officials say the new outbreak is linked to the Bundibugyo strain, for which there are no approved vaccines or treatments, according to CBS News medical correspondent Dr. Céline Gounder. 

Patrick Torphy

contributed to this report.

More from CBS News

Go deeper with The Free Press

In:

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram WhatsApp Email

Related News

Tennessee man jailed 37 days over Facebook meme mocking Charlie Kirk’s death wins 0K settlement

Tennessee man jailed 37 days over Facebook meme mocking Charlie Kirk’s death wins $850K settlement

Natural gas leak snarls traffic at LAX after gas line, water main struck during construction, LAFD says

Natural gas leak snarls traffic at LAX after gas line, water main struck during construction, LAFD says

Woman arrested after allegedly beheading Jesus statue outside Catholic church

Woman arrested after allegedly beheading Jesus statue outside Catholic church

Texas man arrested after allegedly driving Tesla Cybertruck into lake to test ‘Wade Mode’: police

Texas man arrested after allegedly driving Tesla Cybertruck into lake to test ‘Wade Mode’: police

Child found dead inside hot car in Los Angeles identified as 4-year-old girl

Child found dead inside hot car in Los Angeles identified as 4-year-old girl

Illegal immigrant truck driver from India arrested in deadly California hit-and-run after Biden release

Illegal immigrant truck driver from India arrested in deadly California hit-and-run after Biden release

SpaceX files for IPO as Elon Musk’s rocket company preps for public market debut

SpaceX files for IPO as Elon Musk’s rocket company preps for public market debut

String of burglaries rocking LA residential area committed by South American gangs, DA says

String of burglaries rocking LA residential area committed by South American gangs, DA says

Mom who drowned 3 kids on Coney Island beach in NYC sentenced to 20 years to life

Mom who drowned 3 kids on Coney Island beach in NYC sentenced to 20 years to life

Add A Comment

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Latest News

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

January 11, 2021
EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

January 11, 2021
World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

January 11, 2021
Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

January 11, 2021

Subscribe to News

Get the latest USA News and updates directly to your inbox.

Editor's Picks
Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

January 11, 2021
EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

January 11, 2021
World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

January 11, 2021
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest WhatsApp TikTok Instagram
2026 © US Times Mirror. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Lost password?