Fire engines rushed to the scene nearly 12 hours after the service had ended. (representational image)
Photo : Twitter
On Christmas Eve, a chapel in Hazelwood, near Skipton in Yorkshire, caught on fire when worshippers neglected to extinguish a candle at the end of Midnight Mass.
Approximately 12 hours after the service, fire engines were urgently dispatched to the scene, responding to a call where the exact timing of the fire was unclear.
Arriving at 11:46 on Christmas Day, the fire crews successfully extinguished the blaze, which had already caused damage to the font, carpet, and pews. They soon identified what they believed to be the cause of the incidenta candle left over from the Midnight Mass service the night before.
Recording the incident, the North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said: ‘Tadcaster and Acomb appliances responded to a fire that was believed to have occurred in a chapel with the caller uncertain of when the fire took place.
‘On arrival, fire crews confirmed the fire was extinguished.
‘They damped down the affected area and ventilated the premises.
‘Cause believed to have been a candle left unattended following midnight mass. Advice given,’ the fire department’s spokesperson said, according to Daily Mail.
Authored by Feba Bovas